SOURCE Location Address: 13375 Hana Hwy, Maui HI 96708
* Rideshare Forum *
For our 6th year in a row, we will be hosting the festival at the YMCA on Camp Keanae. There is ample camping room for your tent, rain structure, and chill area theme camp. By Sunday, it’s ok to move out to the viewpoint but we like to keep it clear for art and views of the whales until then.
A limited number of bunk beds are available on a first come first serve basis. Bring warm clothes and bedding for the night because the wind may pick up and bring a sweet cool breeze off the ocean. Be prepared to camp.
READ THE SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR ALL IMPORTANT INFO!
SOURCE Festival at Camp Keanae, Maui, HI
The kitchen is fully stocked and the cuisine team is gifting us with 2 meals each day. Music, including live bands and DJs, as well as art and workshops will be happening all weekend long throughout the festival.
The gym is an art gallery full of large and small art installations, and includes a large sleeping room with bunk beds in the back. However, the bunk room is next to the wombRoom, and is not the quietest place to sleep. Scheduled and impromptu (encouraged) performances and parades will happen in the gym and out on the field.
Hot showers will be available much of the time. We provide porta potties and bathroom facilities. Please use porta potties as much as possible to reduce impact on the Camp’s restrooms. We have a great relationship over the years with the folks that run the YMCA. They are very cool to us and we’ve spent some time over the years improving the space. We really do our best to improve the space and clean it up with great respect at the end of our stay.
Take care of each other and the land, share, bring gifts, pack it in pack it out.
Part of our ethos is to gift. We’ve been doing this 6 years.
IMAGINARIUM is our theme for 2013.
Directions to SOURCE:
Arriving at Keanae is pretty easy. Look for signs toward the town of HANA. You start on the Hana HWY, go about 45min-1 hour, see YMCA camp on the left (ocean) side of the highway. Look for the active festival gate and unloading & parking zone. Turn in, follow instructions and begin your adventures!
Directions from Kahului Airport to YMCA Camp Keanae
- As you leave the airport, the street that you are on is called Keolani Place.
- Stay in the left lane and go through the 1st light. Costco will be on your left side
- At the next traffic light, turn left onto the Hana Highway (Hwy 36), K-Mart will be on your left side
- Stay on Hana Hwy through Paia and Haiku. At about mile marker 14 (Ulumalu RD) Hana Hwy is now called Hwy 360 and the mile markers start counting over with marker 1.
- At about mile marker 14 or 16 “YMCA Camp Keanae” will be on your left. You will see the camp at about 3 or 4 turns of the road before you arrive at Keanae.
- Look for the sign on your left side of the highway reading “YMCA Camp Keanae”. The camp is on the left, right next to the State base yard. If you drive past the Arboretum on your right, you have past Camp Keanae and will need to go back.
For a Map & To View Photos: http://www.ymcacampkeanae.org/
* Rideshare Forum *
The following is from an old Sourcer’s post from the first year…
I was at the bookstore the other day and ran into Dave who told me that he had been doing research on the history of Keanae at the old Wailuku library. The library has original historical documents on Maui, the kind that can’t be checked out and must be handled carefully and with permission.
He was researching Keanae and found that one of the ancient tenants for this land was that nothing can be bought nor sold at Keanae. How fitting– SOURCE is a gift economy already. Dave is working with Marvin on the Keanae terraces.
I thought this an appropriate story to highlight the location. Keanae is rich in tradition, it is a sacred and powerful location. And it’s beautiful beyond measure.